In January 2016, the 30 students from the course “Area study: Sustainable Leiden 2030?” contributed to this blog by writing about their observations and findings around six sustainability themes (biodiversity, climate adaptation, energy, mobility, sustainable business and waste). This course is part of the Minor Sustainable Development, provided by the Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML) at Leiden University.
The word cloud below provides an interesting summary of the blogs produced in this course. At the bottom of this post you can find a list of the blogs produced by the students.
During this course, the students also produced consultancy reports for the Leiden City Council, assessing their ‘hot of the press’ Duurzaamheidsagenda 2016-2020 – an ambitious document full of initiatives that will turn Leiden into a sustainable city by 2030. The course was a great success: for the students it was stimulating to work on real case studies and to provide the Leiden City Council with advice and innovative ideas around the proposed initiatives, while the City Council was very happy to receive feedback and further investigate the students’ suggestions and ‘out of the box’ ideas.
Thanks to the students, Gemeente Leiden and other experts that helped to turn it into such a positive experience!
While the course has now finished, the path to a sustainable Leiden / Netherlands / world – has only just begun! Let’s push the boundaries and help make it happen! We look forward to a continued collaboration with the Gemeente Leiden and its sustainability focus!
These are the posts of the January 2016 class ordered by their main theme (although several posts describe across-theme topics).
- Citizen-involvement wanted. Without citizen’s knowledge?
- Lost treasures
- What can you do for a biodiverCity?
- Biodiversity or City?
- Raising public awareness of biodiversity
- Green roofs to make Leiden future-proof
- The Netherlands as the next Atlantis; are you prepared?
- Revolutionary strategy for flood prone countries
- DIY Climate adaptation
- Start by the beginning: Climate adaptation and food security
- Nuclear energy as renewable energy
- What if we could store the nice heat from summer for the winter? We can!
- Thinking out of the (green) box
- Greed is good: consequences of thrifty energy use and investments in your house
- Subsidies on energy saving! Get money to make money
- Business, government and nature: an impossible triangle?
- The industrial/science park as the centers of sustainability
- Sustainability is serious business
- Sustainable business, also important for the business itself
- Sustainable business to survive
- Don’t go up the road; just let them come down
- Let’s fly to sustainable mobility
- The road to the future
- Are electric buses only a thing for the future?
- The green alternative: shared bikes
- The future in my backyard
- An advantageous deposit system
- Taking waste management in Leiden to a new level
- Use the canals of Leiden in our favor
- Bear in mind: Waste management